The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
Time of issue: 02:50 PM
Date of issue: 09 November 2017
Bushfire WATCH AND ACT for TORBAY in the CITY OF ALBANY
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people in the Torbay town site and people travelling along Lower Denmark Road and Hunwick South Road in Torbay in the City of Albany.
- There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching in the area and conditions are changing.
- You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
- The fire started near the intersection of LOWER DENMARK RD and HUNWICK SOUTH RD in TORBAY.
- It is burning towards the Torbay Hall
WHAT TO DO:
- If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
- If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
- If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
- The bushfire is moving slowly in a north westerly direction at 300 metres per hour.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Roads have not been closed.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the City of Albany.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are actively fighting the fire.
- 15 City of Albany and Shire of Denmark firefighters are attending.
- The fire was reported at 02:00 PM on 9 November 2017.
- The cause of the fire is accidental.
- City of Albany is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
Updates will be issued every two hours unless the situation changes.
Media Contact: DFES Media and Corporate Communications on 9395 9543