Parawa Shooting Update: Victim Dies From Wounds


Parawa Shooting Update: Victim Dies From Wounds

SAPOL has confirmed this afternoon that a 21-year-old man from Hayborough has died form a gunshot wound to the head he received yesterday south of Adelaide.

At about 3.45pm yesterday police and paramedics responded to reports that a man had received a serious wound to the head at Springs Road, Parawa, about 40km west of Victor Harbor.

Circumstances around the shooting remain cloudy, but police allege the victim was one of five men who ventured into the forrest yesterday to collect wood.

A 28-year-old has since been charged with committing an act to endanger life and is expected to appear in the Christies Beach Magistrates Court this afternoon.

In a press conference this afternoon, Detective Inspector Greg Hutchins said police had spoken to the other four men and were sceptical with the varying accounts they had been given, refusing to rule out murder charges.

“We do not believe the people who were with this young man at the time of the incident have been fully frank with us about the circumstances,” Hutchins said.

“We know that five young people who are friends went into the forest to cut wood and have some fun.

“We also know that they took a firearm with them that we have not yet located.

“With the assistance of the State Emergency Service, we are searching for that firearm, which is believed to be a .22 rifle, and will be fully investigating its origins.

“The full circumstances of what occurred are still being investigated by police, and I would urge those who were there to tell the truth.

“Those details will have a direct bearing on what charges are laid.

“This death is a tragedy not just for this young man and his family, but for all those present.

“As is normal with all unexplained deaths, police will be thorough in our investigation of this matter.”

Victor Harbor detectives are investigating the incident, with the assistance of Major Crime and Serious Crime investigators and forensic experts.